Keychange is an international campaign and network for gender equality, which aims to diversify the current music industry to create a more sustainable and stronger community for everyone.
KEYCHANGE TALENT DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME 2023 - APPLY NOW!
What is Keychange
WE BRING UNDERREPRESENTED GENDERS IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY TO THE MAIN STAGE
Keychange is a movement that counts the discounted. We take action to empower talented underrepresented genders with training, mentoring, and network support plus conferences and showcasing opportunities at partner festivals.
Join us and represent!
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO REPRESENT THE UNDERREPRESENTED?
As talent, festivals, orchestras, broadcasters, music agencies, we share the belief in and passion for music.
To represent the underrepresented means to take a stand so we don’t miss out on unique talent and artful expressions.
You can represent by pledging with us to work toward balance, inclusion and for a future where all voices are heard.
AN URGENT SITUATION CALLS FOR URGENT ACTION
Our present situation demands urgent action, we’re losing talent every day. Talent is distributed evenly, opportunities are not. We must go beyond the talk of representation. We must break down the barriers that are silencing talent. To achieve better gender balance and inclusivity for gender minorities on stage and behind the scenes, we need to work together to represent.
- BIME (Spain)
- Breakout West (Canada)
- Iceland Airwaves (Iceland)
- Ireland Music Week (Ireland)
- Linecheck/Music Innovation Hub (Italy)
- Liverpool Sound City (UK)
- MAMA (France)
- Mutek (Canada)
- Oslo World (Norway)
- SACEM (France)
- Tallinn Music Week (Estonia)
- Way Out West (Sweden)
How to take action
THE KEYCHANGE PLEDGE
The Keychange Pledge it’s a document that music organisations sign to commit to achieving gender balance within their work/organisation.
The Keychange Pledge has already had a huge impact on the music industry. With the Pledge, Keychange offers an effective tool and tailored support to increase representation throughout the music world.
Festivals, venues, promoters, booking agents, record labels, companies, organisations, education institutes, broadcasters – we encourage everyone to take the Keychange Pledge and work with us towards a gender balanced music industry.
WHY A PLEDGE?
Representation of women and gender minorities in the music industry remains very low in all European countries. Across the participating countries’ collecting societies, women represent 20% or less of registered composers and songwriters. Earnings for women are even lower and women and gender minorities are underrepresented in leadership roles across the industry and on stages at festival programmes.
The Keychange Pledge represents a collective effort to change this landscape. Through the Keychange Pledge, Keychange is building a network of music festivals and organisations who are committed to achieving and transforming representation throughout the music industry.
TAKE THE PLEDGE
We are inviting all music organisations to take the Keychange Pledge. As all festivals and organisations are unique, we ask each pledge signatory to outline their own ambitions when signing the pledge.
- Orchestras could use the 50:50 target for composers commissioned and/or number of players, number of principal players, balance of senior staff
- Concert halls could look at line-ups on stage (as our Keychange festivals have) or other aspects of their organisation e.g. senior staff, backstage staff
- Conservatoires could look at students, lecturers, senior staff teams, live music programmes, visiting musicians
- Agents, publishers and labels may want to look at the balance of artists they sign
- Other charities or trade bodies could also consider the make-up of their Board and staff whilst pledging to encourage its members to sign up to Keychange as well
- Broadcasters could use the pledge to look at the guests they invite onto their shows or presenters and music broadcast
- Publications and those employing editorial staff could apply the Keychange pledge when commissioning writers, editors, photographers etc.
- Organisations with youth groups or education programmes may also want to apply a Keychange pledge to this area of their work
JOIN THE KEYCHANGE NETWORK
By taking the pledge, you will become a part of the Keychange network, comprising 500+ festivals and organisations that are working towards equal representation in the music industry.
Here’s the complete and updated list of the organizations of the different Keychange partner countries that have signed the pledge.
- Espresso Studio
- Futura 1993
- Indigeno Fest
- Locus Festival
- NoOx Management
- Victoria Music
- We Reading
HOW TO TAKE THE PLEDGE?
Seund us an email and we’ll guide you →
Or go directly to keychange.eu/what-can-i-do/as-a-music-organisation-representative#pledge and reach out to our global team!
Apply to our call for participants 2023
ARE YOU AN UNDERREPRESENTED TALENT?
Are you ready to take your career to the next level? Would you benefit from being part of an active network of brilliant talent from accross the world?
Apply to the Keychange programme for export opportunities, training, mentoring, showcasing, and promotion globally.
WHAT’S KEYCHANGE TALENT DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
Keychange supports women and gender minority Artists and Innovators to take part in an extensive talent development programme of showcases, panels, workshops, mentoring and creative sessions. The year-long programme takes place at 13 festivals across Europe and Canada, including 2 full network meet-ups in February and September. As well as exporting opportunities, the Keychange talent development programme helps participants to get to the next stage in their career through targeted training.
APPLICATIONS OPEN: 20th JULY 2022
DEADLINE: 28th SEPTEMBER 2022
WHAT WE OFFER
As a Keychange participant you will be part of an amazing network of women and gender minorities from all over the world. Ultimately what you get out of Keychange will also depend on how much you can commit to Keychange, but we have a passionate network of individuals and organisations who will work with you to support your development. The Keychange programme aims to develop you, and make you feel part of change in the music industry.
Keychange and partners invest an average of €9,000 per participant towards holistic support which significantly impacts their creative and career progression.
WHAT DO I GET AS A KEYCHANGE PARTICIPANT?
- A full network meet-up in Brussels, Belgium*
- A full network meet-up at Reeperbahn Festival, Hamburg, Germany*
- A showcase or a panel at one of our 13 festival partners*
- Capacity building with a bespoke training programme
- Mentoring possibility via the we.grow programme in partnership with shesaid.so
- Promotion via Keychange channels and networks
- Access to a dedicated networking platform for Keychange participants
*COVID-19 permitting. If you are unable to travel, we will provide suitable online alternatives.
WHO CAN APPLY
To be eligible for Keychange you must:
- Be a woman or gender minority
- Be 18 or over
- Live and work in one of our 12 partner countries; Canada, Estonia, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden or the UK.
- Be able to communicate in and understand English
- Be an Artist OR an Innovator working in music (e.g. industry professional or executive)
- Already have a track record in the music industry, or display strong potential
- Be ready for international career development
- Be committed to participating in our movement for change
Click here for full criteria.
HOW DO I APPLY?
All applicants will need to fill in an application form on Flexigrant, the PRS Foundation grants portal.
The Keychange application form will:
- Gather basic contact information on applicants
- Enable the applicant to state whether they want to be considered as an Artist or an Innovator
- Ask for a short applicant Biography
- Enable applicants to outline their career to date and achievements
- Assess whether an applicant is at the right time in their career to be a part of Keychange
- Ask applicants how they will make the most of the opportunity to develop their creative and business aims during and after the project
- Establish how the applicant would contribute to the Keychange network
- Gather voluntary information to monitor the breadth and diversity of applicants.
Please see the Full Call Text, Criteria and How to Apply on the Keychange website here.
On Keychange social media channels and on the keychange.eu website, you will find more information and insights on how to fill out the application, but for any doubts you cannot answer you can contact us at and we’ll be happy to help!
WHAT’S THE SELECTION PROCESS AND NEXT STEPS?
The partners in your country assess your applications based on the quality of your work, your application, and if they think now is the right time for you to be involved in the programme. Applications are scored and a shortlist of applicants are taken through to the live decision panel. Our festival partners then select the applications that they would like to come along to their festival.
Sponsorship / Support
Are you an organization, a foundation or a donor who wants to support the Keychange movement also from an economic point of view? As a supporter and sponsor of Keychange you can become part of an international network of organizations in the music sector and brands that together have decided to embrace the Keychange cause and donate to the movement internationally: you will be able to enhance the visibility of your brand on an international level, communicating the commitment of your organization on an important and increasingly topical issue such as that of gender equality.
Numerous collecting companies, such as STEF, STIM, and Songtrust, have already supported the Keychange movement, as well as streaming platforms such as Soundcloud.
Join the movement!
To find out more write to us at !
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT KEYCHANGE?
- Website: keychange.eu
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KeychangeEU/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/keychangeeu/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/KeychangeEU